This cross was place on the front steps of my dad's house the morning he died.

cross

cross
when my dad died

rope heart

rope heart

Search This Blog

Friday, May 7, 2010

My Hero

The reason my grandmother (we called Gummie) is my hero is because she was so strong and kind.She was born in a home in the middle of no where, when she was 6 months old
she was lying in a crib upstairs as the house caught on fire, her mom ran downstairs to see what was going on. An Aunt said where is the baby and ran up to get her.
When she was a teenager she had to have an operation and had it right on the dining room table and in the middle of that operation, she woke up. She became a teacher of a one room school. She married a man 20 years older that her family wasn't to happy about. She later had 3 children and was living in Ohio. Her oldest son was 23 years old and just got out of the merchant marines a few weeks before and while driving got in an accident and hit a tree head on. He was in the hospital for a while in a coma. gummie decided to start working in the kitchen to help pay the bill. She worked hard and became one of the first License Practical Nurses in Ohio.
When she retired from nursing that summer she decided to go to Nova scotia for the summer and she decided to take a 12 year old granddaughter (me), we meet everyone she knew friends, relatives and I heard all the stories and saw all the places important to her. During that summer she asked me a 12 year old if I would take care of her when she was old and dying. i said yes. yearrs later they called me and said they were going to put her in a nursing home and said would i want her. I said of course i would take her. I had promised her so long ago. She died in my home and it was a special time that the two of us had the last 10 months of her life.
10 years later I got to do the same for my dad, a man who also went against the grain to live life the way he believed he should. I have drawn so much from these two people that will make me do the same. To live the way my gut tells me to go. i will try to follow theur path.
Gummie used to say the cutest little poem. backward oh backward, time in my flight. Make me a child again just for the night! I miss them both, but would have to say that gummie was and always will be my hero.

1 comment:

  1. what a moving tribute to your Grandmother! They really etch themselves into our lives don't they?

    ReplyDelete